Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Old Journal New Cover

 

When my husband was in high school, his girlfriend at the time gave him a journal.  She gave it to him with the idea that he would write his poetry in it, but he never did.  Once he was in graduate school he decided to use it as a reading journal, where he wrote down his thought on the books that he was reading.  This was just the first of many reading journals.  

However, with time and use the text block broke (It has "perfect binding") and the outside of the cover was looking much worse for wear, so I decided to mend it for him.  It now has a repaired perfect binding, new end pages, and a completely new cover. 


I re-glued the text block and reinforced it with some cheesecloth, to try to make sure it stayed together. The book cloth is made from leftover cotton quilting fabric with featherweight interfacing fused to it.  The cover boards are cut from Canson art board that I bought at Hobby Lobby.  It was thicker than the chip board they had and I wanted to make sure it was nice and sturdy. The end pages are scrap-booking paper from Hobby Lobby.

I'm still very new to book binding, but I like the idea of it.  I guess with time we'll see if I like the reality of it.

No comments: