Monday, March 09, 2009

My 2009 Project Linus quilt

I always intend to make a quilt for Project Linus every year. I did good for a while, but then I started back to graduate school and got out of the habit. It was not unusual for me to START a quilt for Project Linus, but I seldom actually finished them. But now I am finished with graduate school and getting settled into a teaching routine, so I have more time. Plus, I've moved into a new house where I have an actual sewing room so I have more space as well. So here is this year's Project Linus quilt - completely finished and ready to deliver.

The material was left over from the last baby quilt that I made (featured in the previous post), but this one is pieced in a different design. Because the messages on the novelty print were so cut up on the last quilt, I wanted to have a larger panel of the material featured in this quilt, so I designed this pattern to showcase the center fabric. This way you can read all of the wonderful messages. I think the design would work well with any large scale novelty print and you could alter it to use different 6 inch blocks for the inner border if it seemed more suited to the fabric design.

This quilt is machine pieced and hand quilted and measures 42 inches by 48 inches.