Friday, December 20, 2013
The quilt top is made from 13 jelly roll strips, for the coins and inner sashing, and half a yard of matching yardage for the border. I plan to use the blue polka dot fabric for the backing, and the dark green floral (from the border) for the binding. My intention is to machine quilt in the ditch between each of the coins and between the coins and the sashing. Then I will probably quilt one or two straight lines around the whole quilt in the border.
Friday, December 13, 2013
Anyway, the stocking is made from poinsettia fabric with a solid green lining. The top fabric is quilted to the batting. Then the lining and outside fabrics were sewn together wrong-side out. Then the whole thing was turned pillowcase style.
The only thing that is smaller on this bag is the handles. My mom wanted them shorter because she says she doesn't carry her purse on her shoulder. Because of the shorter handles, I moved the handles closer in to the center of the bag. She also didn't want a closure for the top of the bag, so that was omitted as well. I hope she enjoys it.
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
This is the finished quilt from the top featured in this post. It is made from a Christmas Countdown layer cake. I machine quilted straight lines across the quilt at 3 inch intervals. I considered quilting at 3 inch intervals going up and down as well, but decided against it. I also considered machine binding it, but opted to hand turn the binding instead.
Monday, December 09, 2013
I made 8 coasters that measure approximately 4 inches square. They have Auburn Tiger fabric on top. The top is quilted to the batting only. Then they are finished by adding an orange square of fabric for the backing, using a pillow turn technique. Then finally, it is top stitched close to the edge all the way around.
Thursday, December 05, 2013
I enjoyed using my fall themed bag so well that I decided to make one out of Christmas fabric. This one uses the same pattern as the last one, but with a few utilitarian additions. I added a small pocket inside to keep my chapstick and nail clippers.
And I added a D-ring to clip my keys to, so they would be easy to find.
The D-ring is attached to a fabric strip that is then sewn into the seam that attaches the outside of the bag to the lining. It was added at the same time as the shoulder straps and the top closure.