Wednesday, December 30, 2015


So this is my last quilt of 2015.  I named it Cascades, because the design reminded me of water rippling over a cascade-style waterfall.  I'm thinking about writing a pattern for this one.  It is made with one jelly roll and one charm pack of the same fabric.  I attached the label while at my sewing group at the library today.  It makes my 12th quilted item of the year.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

2015 guild quilt

I just realized that I never posted my finished quilt top from our guild project this year.  (I finished it back in September, I think.)  It was a jelly roll mystery quilt that one of our members found at Carter Quilter.  The project could be done in any of three sizes, but I decided to go with the smallest of the three.  It only required 23 jelly roll strips, so I bought a package of strips that only had 24 strips in it, and was all color coordinated, as you can see.  I used solid black for my background fabric.

The top is all finished and it is ready to be taken down to the quilter.  I am hoping to have it quilted in "Glowing Embers" King Tut thread.  It is variegated red and black with seems like it would be just perfect for this quilt top.  I haven't decided yet what pattern I want it quilted in.  I know she has a pattern that is flames, which seems fitting, but I'm not quite sure I want to go that route.  I know I don't want anything floral.  I guess I'll just have to see when I get down there.

2015 Moda Quilt Top

This is my Moda quilt top from our 2015 project.  We did the Vintage Quilt Revival book this year.  I did mine in the Piecemaker fabric line by Kathy Schmitz, which is all blues, browns, and creams.  I think it has a nice masculine look to it.  If I were doing it over again I would pick different fabric, though.  I wasn't paying attention to how much of the fabric was directional.  I'm a little OCD about keeping the direction right, so that made it less fun to work with.

I decided not to go exactly with any of the three layouts from the book.  One layout had the blocks simply sewn together in rows, no border, no nothing else.  The second layout had dark, narrow borders around each block and then light sashing and dark cornerstones to put the blocks together.  The last layout used setting squares and set the blocks on point.   I thought about doing the second layout from the book, but I didn't have enough background fabric to cut the sashings the width recommended in the book.

As you can see, I decided to go with a narrow sashing in the background fabric and no cornerstones.  I like it better than butting the blocks up to each other directly.  I think the individual blocks stand out a bit better this way.  I had a good bit of fabric left over from the fat quarter bundle I was using to make the blocks with, so I decided to cut them up into 5 inch squares and make a pieced border out of them.  I still have some left even after that.

It is now ready to take down to the quilt shoppe to be quilted.  Not sure when I will get the chance, though.  It may not be until after the holidays.