Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crocheted Afghan

This is a baby afghan that I crocheted several months ago. I forgot to take a picture of it when I finished it. It is made by simply chaining a long row then making a row of double crochets back into that chain. Then you chain up to the next row and make another row of double crochets. Then you just repeat until it is as long as you want it to be. It is made from Bernat Baby's Breath yarn. The finished afghan is 29 inches by 34 inches. I entered it in the Pike County Fair, too, and it also won a blue ribbon.

Froggie in the Tulips

I finished this quilt just in time to enter it in the Pike County Fair. I didn't even take a picture of it before I entered it. I just picked it up from the fair today and it won a blue ribbon.

I found the frog and tulip fabric at the quilt shop and I just fell in love with it. I decided to put tulip blocks in the corners and a frog block in the center of a large nine patch design. I didn't have a frog pattern so a drafted one based on a picture of the frog block from the "by the pond" pattern that Quiltmaker published several years ago before I started subscribing. The frog block is paper pieced and so are the stem and leaf sections of the tulip blocks. The quilt finished 36 inches square and is machine pieced and hand quilted. The eyes of the frog are large buttons that I sewed onto the finished quilt.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Charity Quilt

I just finished this one today. The blocks are printed pillow panels and the sashing is 4 inch strips of a coordinating fabric. The cornerstones are cut from the border strips on the edges of the pillow panel fabric. It's finished size is 44 x 64 inches.

It was done completely on the machine, which is extremely unusual for me. The machine that I have has a walking foot, but it doesn't work very well, so I seldom use it. However, the blankets are due this Sunday and I really wanted to make a quilt to donate. I knew that I didn't have time to hand quilt it and I was afraid that I wouldn't have time to hand turn the binding, so I just did it all by machine. It will be donated to the child advocacy center along with the fleece blankets featured in the post below.