Monday, October 11, 2010

Pinwheels in Autumn

I made this quilt using the same pattern I used for my last Project Linus quilt. This time I used deer fabric with a fall theme. The fabric matches my living room furniture very well. This one I'm calling a lap quilt instead of a baby quilt, even though they are the same size. The fabric is a little less juvenile, but it could still work as a toddler quilt.

Here is a close up of the quilting. I quilted it the same way as the Linus quilt: outlining the gold triangles, down the center of the rust border, outlining and going down the center of the print border, and making a grid in the center panel.

I entered the quilt in the Pike County Fair last week, and it won a Blue Ribbon!

Saturday, October 09, 2010

Flower Cross Pillow

This is a pillow that I made for the silent auction at the Alabama State Homemakers' Club meeting. (That's not their official name anymore, but I forget what the official name is these days.)

The pillow is 11 inches x 14 inches. The center of the cross is a folded flower. I just quilted in the ditch around the cross and around the border. It has a split back to insert the pillow form. The back of the pillow is made from the floral material that the cross is made from.

I made the pillow from start to finish in about 8 hours.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Up, Up & Away

I actually finished this baby quilt on March 2, but it has taken me this long to get it posted. The photo below is a close up of the quilting.

The balloons are foundation pieced from a pattern I made myself. The large balloons are 5" by 8" and the small balloons are 2.5" by 4".

It was machine pieced and hand quilted. The balloons are quilted in the ditch around the outside of the balloon and then quilted through the balloon to indicate the lines that a hot-air balloon has. To mimic the cloud motif in the background I decided to quilt a seashell pattern. To make the seashell pattern easier to hand quilt, I cut several scallops out of sticky-backed labels (left over from an old political campaign) and stuck them to the quilt, then quilted around them.

It took a long time and it is the most intricately quilted quilt I have made so far. The finished quilt is about 37" by 53".

Update: I entered the quilt in the Pike County Fair last week and it won a Red Ribbon!