Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Friday, June 17, 2016
So I tried cutting 6-1/2 inch stripes, trimming it them with the angle at the end of the binding tool, and sewing it to a 6-1/2 inch square. Then I used 3 pairs of colored strips instead of 4 pairs. It worked out perfectly. I added a one inch (finished) inner border and then a four inch (finished) pieced border made from the remaining 2-1/2 inch strips. It used 12 jelly roll strips in total.
I have no idea yet how to quilt it. If I went with an all-over quilting design, I don't know what color of thread to use, as black seems a bit harsh for the colored areas. Also, any one of the colors might look odd in the "other colored" patches. Oh, well, it can stay in the UFO pile for a while until I figure it out.
I finished it just in time, too. I finished it on Tuesday with the class meeting on Wednesday.
Thursday, June 16, 2016
I let him sit down and look through my issues of Block magazine, and he chose this beauty for his new quilt. The original pattern was a little small for what he needed so we increased the number of blocks from 16 (4x4 layout) to 36 (6x6 layout) and left off the border. The original pattern called for a jelly roll of fabric, but that wouldn't have been enough for the extra blocks, so I figured up the yardage to cut our own 2.5 inch strips. He went with me down to the quilt shop and picked out all of the fabric. I think he did a really good job.
The finished quilt top measures 96 inches square. In fact, it would actually fit a queen size bed pretty well, as you can see above with it laid out on my queen size bed.