Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Christmas Ornament

This year for our quilt guild Christmas party we are supposed to bring a handmade Christmas ornament to exchange.  I searched around on Pinterest and found this cute little Christmas tree ornament made out of yo-yos.  I searched through my Christmas fabrics and found several nice green fabrics to use, bought some jingle bells, beads, and ribbon, and put this little guy together in no time. 

I have a set of nesting biscuit cutters that worked really well for the different sized circles.  Five out of the seven yo-yos are from the biscuit cutter set.  I had to find a couple of bowls to make the larger circles because I wanted my tree to be a little taller.  It was really easy, quick and fun to make.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Grandmother Sewing Begins

My middle son is expecting his first child in April, and she will be my first grand-baby.  We just found out last week that the baby is going to be a girl, so I can start sewing for her.  I found a pattern on Pinterest for a burp cloth that used flannel and chenille fabrics.  When I went to the quilt shop I bought some chenille to try it out.  I think it turned out good, but I kinda wish the chenille was a little thicker/closer together.  Before I make any more, I am going to let the parents-to-be look at it and see if they like the feel of the fabrics.  They love dogs, so I'm sure the flannel print will be a hit.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Bear in the Mountains - finished!

Here is the finished quilt that I made for our priest who is leaving us early next month.  I machine quilted it, quilting in the ditch around the individual paw blocks and around the mountain blocks.  I also quilted down the center of each mountain block to keep within the quilting distance requirements.  And I quilted in the ditch along the border seam.  As you can probably tell, I added a hanging sleeve to the back so that he can hang it on the wall (but that is my wall, not his).

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Blue Roses

This is the quilt that I made in order to be able to have something quilted in the King Tut De Nile thread.  I saw the thread at the quilt shop and told the owner that I really wanted to make something that color so that I could have it quilted in that thread. 

When I saw this fabric I knew it would work.  The fabric is from the Christine line from Benartex by Eleanor Burns.  The top is mostly two charm packs with some yardage for the border and for a couple of 5 inch squares to make the diagonal rows work out right. 

The quilting design is Ribbons and Roses and the quilt finished 45 x 55 inches.  I don't know what I will do with it, but I think it turned out really nice.  Below is a closeup of the label.