Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Halloween Journal

 

I know it's really early, but I wanted to make a Halloween themed journal for my oldest granddaughter.  She really likes Halloween and spooky things, and since she's in school now I thought she might enjoy having a little journal.  By the time Halloween comes around she'll be in second grade, so I think she'll be a reasonable age for a little journal.

The cover is made from an old cereal box.  I used cotton fabric, heat 'n' bond, and tissue paper (the kind for gift giving, not for nose blowing) to make the book cloth.  On the last one (my husband's journal) I used featherweight interfacing on cotton cloth and I didn't like the results as well.  It was a bit harder to work with and didn't bond as well.  I like this method better.


The end pages are made from scrapbook paper I bought at Hobby Lobby.  They don't do "Halloween" but the orange and black circles give a nice Halloween look anyway.


The text block is made from 12 sheets of orange printer paper that I had on hand.  It was constructed as 4 signatures of 3 sheets each. I sewed them together using thin yellow crochet twine and a curved upholstery needle.  I trimmed the text block using an old rotary cutter that I only use for paper.  It worked better than I thought it would, actually.


It's a thin little journal, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  I hope that she will like it.  I don't plan to give it to her until October.

No comments: