Tuesday, May 26, 2009

April Showers Bring May Flowers

This is my finished mini quilt for the Spring Blooms Mini Quilt Swap. (The color in the photo doesn't seem quite true, but it was the best I could get.)

The quilting was somewhat improvisational (my husband calls it "jazz quilting"). I couldn't decide on a quilting pattern ahead of time so I just put it in the frame and started quilting. First I quilted the diagonal lines from corner to corner. Then I decided to quilt the center cross. Then I quilted around the inside and outside of the blue inner border. Next I thought that the green strips needed some quilting so I quilted the outside of the strips. Then I thought that the inside needed quilting, too. Then I just kind of echoed the lines of the quilting into the border of the quilt. I think it worked out pretty well.

I hope my partner likes it.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finished Mini Quilt Top

I have my quilt top finished for the Spring Blooms Mini Quilt Swap, but I haven't decided how I want to quilt it yet. I'm a hand quilter, so I need to decide soon so I'll have time to get it done by the June 21st deadline.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Soccer Balls at Sea

This is my latest UFO that I finally got around to finishing. It is a soccer themed quilt that I plan to use on those cold fall nights at the soccer field while I watch my youngest play soccer.

The quilt is 47 inches wide by 64 inches long. It is made from six 16 inch storm at sea blocks. And surrounded by a border made from soccer ball fabric with appliqued corner stones. The quilt is machine pieced, hand appliqued, and hand quilted.

I've always liked the storm at sea block and I thought that way the block imitates a pieced circle was reminiscent of a soccer ball. I'm not sure that the circle idea shows up as much as I would have liked in the finished product, but I'm happy with it.

A long over-due window cover

At my husband's office he has a long narrow window in this door that he wanted to cover up. A few years ago I started making this fall themed hanging to cover the window, but never could decide how I wanted to quilt it, so I just set it aside.

I finally finished it, back on March 10th, we took it to his office and hung it on the door. I even took a picture of it hanging on the door, but then I forgot to post it here. Yesterday was my middle son's birthday (and of course Mother's Day) so I was going through my camera to make some room for new pictures when I saw the picture in the camera.

So anyway, the long over-due window cover, that was long over-due in the making and in the posting, is finally made and finally posted.