Monday, February 28, 2011
Here is a picture of my most recent finished quilt project. I made it for my youngest son's bed. Below is a picture of him on the bed with the quilt. It was made from a storm at sea pattern. I used the Marti Michell Storm at Sea template set to cut the patches for the diamond blocks, using the 12" block cutting directions. The quilt finished approximately 71" x 95".
My son picked out the fabric; I cut out the patches, pieced the top and sewed on the binding; and my dad hand quilted it. It was multi-generational family project.
We had a little difficulty coming up with a name for the quilt. We wanted something to reflect the wave-like feeling that the pattern creates. At first my son just kept making a "woosh" sound and doing what we called a "crab-walk, jazz-hands hula", which we decided could be the subtitle for the quilt. For the "official" name we decided on "Amongst the Waves", which comes from the title of a song by Pearl Jam.
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
This year I decided to try to entry a quilt in the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show in Sisters, Oregon. I noticed that at the quilt show they also have a postcard auction and sale for charity. Anyone can donate fabric postcards to the sale, so I thought I would try my hand at making one to possibly donate. Yesterday morning I sat down and made this little postcard. It was fun and I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt at postcard making. I got the directions from Red Shoe Ramblings. The directions were easy to follow and had great picture illustrations.