Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crocheted Afghan

This is a baby afghan that I crocheted several months ago. I forgot to take a picture of it when I finished it. It is made by simply chaining a long row then making a row of double crochets back into that chain. Then you chain up to the next row and make another row of double crochets. Then you just repeat until it is as long as you want it to be. It is made from Bernat Baby's Breath yarn. The finished afghan is 29 inches by 34 inches. I entered it in the Pike County Fair, too, and it also won a blue ribbon.

Froggie in the Tulips

I finished this quilt just in time to enter it in the Pike County Fair. I didn't even take a picture of it before I entered it. I just picked it up from the fair today and it won a blue ribbon.

I found the frog and tulip fabric at the quilt shop and I just fell in love with it. I decided to put tulip blocks in the corners and a frog block in the center of a large nine patch design. I didn't have a frog pattern so a drafted one based on a picture of the frog block from the "by the pond" pattern that Quiltmaker published several years ago before I started subscribing. The frog block is paper pieced and so are the stem and leaf sections of the tulip blocks. The quilt finished 36 inches square and is machine pieced and hand quilted. The eyes of the frog are large buttons that I sewed onto the finished quilt.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Charity Quilt

I just finished this one today. The blocks are printed pillow panels and the sashing is 4 inch strips of a coordinating fabric. The cornerstones are cut from the border strips on the edges of the pillow panel fabric. It's finished size is 44 x 64 inches.

It was done completely on the machine, which is extremely unusual for me. The machine that I have has a walking foot, but it doesn't work very well, so I seldom use it. However, the blankets are due this Sunday and I really wanted to make a quilt to donate. I knew that I didn't have time to hand quilt it and I was afraid that I wouldn't have time to hand turn the binding, so I just did it all by machine. It will be donated to the child advocacy center along with the fleece blankets featured in the post below.

Friday, September 02, 2011

Fleece Blankets!

My project this summer has been to make fleece blankets. The women's group at my church decided to make blankets to donate to the Child Advocacy Center. Walmart had their fleece marked down so I bought a whole bunch and started making blankets. There are ten blankets in all. Six of them have a fringed hem and four of them have a braided hem. I was going to do it 5 & 5, but I accidentally cut the sixth one with a 3 inch cut (to make the fringe) instead of a 2 inch cut (to make the braid). No big deal either way. I think both ways looks nice.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sisters Quilt Show

I actually got a chance to go to the annual outdoor quilt show in Sisters, Oregon this year. This is a picture of me with my quilt. It is the same quilt that is featured in this post. I was afraid that we were never going to find it. There were so many beautiful quilts there. We finally found mine hanging on a house close to the edge of town. It didn't sell, but it was fun to have a quilt in the show. Maybe next year I'll enter one of the contests. We'll see.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Finished Product

I finally finished the quilt in the post below. I actually finished it several days ago (April 5th, I think), but have just gotten around to posting the pictures. The quilt finished 40 inches square. It was machine pieced and hand quilted in a house top motif. I decided to call it "Jungle Babies" because of the focus fabric.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Baby Quilt in Progress

This is my current project in progress (in the quilting frame). It is a baby quilt for my cousin and his wife's new baby that is due this month. I had to make it gender neutral because they are not finding out the sex of the baby ahead of time. She said she was doing the nursery in elephants so I thought these baby jungle animals would be prefect. Green and yellow were as gender neutral as I could think of.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Amongst the Waves

Here is a picture of my most recent finished quilt project. I made it for my youngest son's bed. Below is a picture of him on the bed with the quilt. It was made from a storm at sea pattern. I used the Marti Michell Storm at Sea template set to cut the patches for the diamond blocks, using the 12" block cutting directions. The quilt finished approximately 71" x 95".

My son picked out the fabric; I cut out the patches, pieced the top and sewed on the binding; and my dad hand quilted it. It was multi-generational family project.

We had a little difficulty coming up with a name for the quilt. We wanted something to reflect the wave-like feeling that the pattern creates. At first my son just kept making a "woosh" sound and doing what we called a "crab-walk, jazz-hands hula", which we decided could be the subtitle for the quilt. For the "official" name we decided on "Amongst the Waves", which comes from the title of a song by Pearl Jam.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My First Fabric Postcard

This year I decided to try to entry a quilt in the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show in Sisters, Oregon. I noticed that at the quilt show they also have a postcard auction and sale for charity. Anyone can donate fabric postcards to the sale, so I thought I would try my hand at making one to possibly donate. Yesterday morning I sat down and made this little postcard. It was fun and I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt at postcard making. I got the directions from Red Shoe Ramblings. The directions were easy to follow and had great picture illustrations.