Monday, August 05, 2019

Five Easy Pieces baby quilt


This little quilt is a variation on a Five Easy Pieces Charity Quilt I found online.  In the original quilt, the blocks were like a single round of a Log Cabin block, but one of the commenters suggested that she would make all the bricks around the center the same size and put it together with partial seams.  I liked that idea and decided to try it.

I wanted to be able to use fat quarters and I wanted to make as efficient use of the fabric as I could.  That is one reason why I wanted to use the one size brick and partial seams method.  That way I could cut all the fat quarters the same way and make all of the blocks the same.  The original pattern made a 12 inch block, but I scaled it down to a 9 inch block so that I could get enough pieces from the fat quarters to make a reasonably sized and shaped quilt.  The quilt finishes at 37 inches by 47 inches, which I think makes a nice sized baby quilt.

This quilt uses 4 fat quarters for the blocks, along with some white yardage.  The fat quarters are ones that I won from our monthly drawings at the Moda class I attend at the Front Porch Quilt Shoppe, and the white yardage was left over from a previous project.  All I had to buy for the quilt was the border fabric, binding fabric, backing fabric, and batting.  I'm not sure yet what I'll do with it, but I think it would make a nice little quilt to donate somewhere, possibly.

No comments: