Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Mermaid Whirlpool

Yesterday I finished this quilt top that I designed for my granddaughter, Lilah.  When I saw the fabric with the mermaids on it in the quilt shop it made me think of Lilah, because she loves water so much. 

I've been wanting to do a simple quilt like this for some time now.  The idea was to use a large piece of fabric on top, a smaller cut of fabric on the bottom, and then have a single row of pieced blocks in between the two.  I decided to go with the snail's trail block because it reminds me of an ocean wave (and the symbol for a hurricane, actually).  I like the way that the spiraling effect of the snail's trail block makes it look like the fabric from the top, bottom, and sides are being pulled in like a whirlpool. 

I just wish that I had made the border just a couple of inches wider.  I felt like 48 inches by 58 inches was a good size for a sofa throw, but I think I would have liked the look of a 6 inch border better than the look of the 4 inch border.  And 52 x 62 would have worked just as well.  I'll keep that in mind if I do one again in the future.

No comments: