Wednesday, May 07, 2014

April Guild Block - Appliqued Ornaments

The guild block for April was appliqued ornaments.  It has taken me quite a while to finish it.  First of all, I had trouble deciding what fabric to use as a background.  The directions called for a light colored background, but I wanted to use something darker - something that would read more like a Christmas tree.  Then I couldn't decide what fabric to use for the ornaments.  I wanted to fussy-cut motifs for the ornaments, but the non-round ornaments looked odd to me cut that way.  So I finally decided to put fussy-cut circles (and one oval) inside all the ornaments, and I liked the look of that a lot better.  Unfortunately that meant I had to applique 12 shapes instead of just 6 shapes.  Plus, I hand appliqued it, so it took me quite a while.  But now it is finally done, and I think it looks nice.

No comments: