Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Little Mittens

When I finished the "Pineapples in the Pumpkin Patch" quilt top this afternoon, I moved on to another UFO I had on my list.  This one is from the Quiltmaker pattern "Little Mittens" (Nov/Dec 2000).  I started this one quite a while ago.  I like to have hand sewing to work on when we take long trips by car, so I worked on the applique for this one over several trips to New Jersey.  I also learned that I'm not particularly fond of needle turn applique.  The applique has been finished for some time now, but I just got around to trimming the blocks down to size and cutting the blue sashing strips.  This is a picture of the blocks and sashing laid out on my design wall.  I haven't started sewing it together yet, but I'm happy with the lay out.  Once the top is sewn together, there will be more applique yet to do.  The matched sets of mittens have a "cord" to keep them together.  It is a bias strip that will attach to each mitten and loop in the white squares that don't have hearts in them.  To that I can only say, "ugh, more applique."

No comments: