Saturday, January 18, 2020

Fantasy Land quilt


I finished the binding on this quilt at my guild's quilt retreat yesterday.  I made the top so long ago that I don't even remember how long ago it was.  I'm thinking it is at least 12 years old.  It was definitely from before I started posting pictures of completed quilt tops and possibly from before I started this blog!  I wanted to start the year off by tackling a UFO and this seemed like a good place to start.

I decided to try free-motion quilting it on my regular sewing machine.  I have done some place-mats before but I don't think I've ever free-motioned a quilt before.  It is far from perfect.  In fact, I'm sure it can't even see perfect from where it is, but I'm good with how it turned out.  I think it is very respectable for a first attempt at something of that size (33 inches square).

The fabric that I used was not a panel, but continuous yardage with sort of overlapping fantasy scenery.  I fussy-cut the larger square that are in the corners and center of quilt and some of the smaller square that are in the border.  These many years later when it was time to choose the fabric for the backing, I decided to cut out the largest piece that I could from the fantasy yardage to use on the back.  I surrounded it with some light blue fabric that I had in my stash.  I think it makes a nice back.  It makes the quilt almost reversible, really.  Here is the back:


My church is having a blanket drive to donate to the child advocacy center in few weeks. I am planning to donate this quilt as part of my offering.

No comments: