Saturday, January 12, 2019

2018 Goals In Review

At the beginning of 2018 I set some goals for myself:
  1. Finish the year with fewer unquilted quilt tops than I started the year with
  2. If I start new projects, use fabrics that I already have on hand.
  3. If I buy new fabric, it should be to finish an existing project or complete a project I've previously designed.
So, how did that work out?  Well . . . not so good actually. 

I did accomplish the first one.  I did, in fact, end the year with fewer unquilted quilt tops than I started with.  Of the 19 unquilted tops I started with, I got 7 quilted.  I then created 4 new quilt tops that haven't been quilted, although one is at the quilt shop to be quilted, so I'm not sure that one should count against me.  But that is still a net improvement, so I win that one.

On goal number 2, I was doing pretty good there until I got to July.  The two fabric bargello quilt wasn't really something I designed, but it was something I had been wanting to make for quite a while and the quilt shop finally got in some ombre fabric that I could use.  I couldn't pass that up.  Then I found out that my step-daughter was expecting her first baby, and of course I had to buy fabric to make a quilt for her that would match what she wanted for the nursery.  These seemed justifiable, because one was unforeseen circumstances (new baby) and the other almost meshed with goal #3.  However, in November I just gave up.  There were quilts that I wanted to make that I needed to buy new fabric for, so I just did it.

On goal number 3, I was doing pretty good until the quilt shop had a low bolt sale in August.  Her supplier brought in boxes and boxes of "low" yardage bolts, (I put that in quotation marks because I don't really consider 8 yards that low and most of them had that much) and anything that didn't sell was going to be returned.  It was $6.99 per yard, which is GREAT for quilt shop fabric, so I couldn't pass that up just because of New Year's Resolution (aka quilting goal), right?

So for 2019 my quilting goals are to have fun and enjoy quilting.  My only resolution or limitation that I'm adding is that I want to avoiding making quilts that I don't really want to make.  I made two quilts in 2018 that I didn't really like.  I hope to avoid that this year.  Wish me luck!

No comments: