Saturday, June 23, 2018

Dream Baby

I do a lot of hand sewing, specifically turning quilt binding, when my husband and I take long car trips (defined as an hour or longer).  We recent drove to New Jersey and back to visit his mother, so I had plenty of time to finish up some projects.  I finished the binding on this quilt on the way up to New Jersey (June 6th).

I had trouble coming up with a name for this one.  It is a baby quilt made from the Happy Flappers fabric line.  The most prominent motifs in the fabric are flowers and owls.  At first my instinct was to go with something owl-related for the name - something with Hoot or Who in it.  But I decided to go with a much more subtle reference. 

I often name quilts after songs, so I started looking at songs recorded by Hootie and the Blowfish.  I considered "Not even the Trees", which is a Hootie and the Blowfish original, but decided against it in favor of "Dream Baby".  It's originally a Roy Orbison song, but Hootie and the Blowfish covered it on their Scattered, Smothered, and Covered album, so in my book it counts.  Plus, for a baby quilt, I thought it was appropriate.

No comments: