Wednesday, March 22, 2017

More grand-mommy sewing!


Yesterday I spent my sewing day making cloth wipes.  My son and daughter-in-law are planning to use cloth diaper and cloth wipes on the baby once she gets out of the absolutely newborn stage.  The picture at the top is a dozen flannel two-ply wipes that finish at 8-1/2 inches square.  The bottom picture is three smaller wipes that I made with the scraps of leftover fabric.  They are 6 x 8-1/2 inches.  I thought they would make nice face wipes.

I pre-washed the fabric in baby detergent and hot water to preshrink it and soften it up.  Then I cut out 9 inch squares.  I sewed the squares together using a 1-4 inch seam and my walking foot, leaving about a two inch gap for turning it right side out.  I turned them right side out, and then top stitched about 1/8 of an inch or less from the edge all the way around to close up gap and secure the seam.  Hopefully they will work well.  Some things I have read say they need a few washings before they really start working well.

No comments: