Friday, June 17, 2016

Rainbow Binding Tool Star

This is a wall-hanging sized quilt that I made to test out the binding tool star pattern before I tried it large scale for my son's quilt.  I also wanted to try making a different size star.  In the original pattern, you are told to cut out the shape of the binding tool, which is technically 1/8 of an inch shorter than the size of the square that you are sewing it to, so I wanted to see if it really needed to be an 1/8 inch shorter or not. 

So I tried cutting 6-1/2 inch stripes, trimming it them with the angle at the end of the binding tool, and sewing it to a 6-1/2 inch square.  Then I used 3 pairs of colored strips instead of 4 pairs.  It worked out perfectly.  I added a one inch (finished) inner border and then a four inch (finished) pieced border made from the remaining 2-1/2 inch strips.  It used 12 jelly roll strips in total.

I have no idea yet how to quilt it.  If I went with an all-over quilting design, I don't know what color of thread to use, as black seems a bit harsh for the colored areas.  Also, any one of the colors might look odd in the "other colored" patches.  Oh, well, it can stay in the UFO pile for a while until I figure it out.

No comments: