this post to donate to the same organization. As it turned out, this fabric was not quite appropriate for that application.
Just like with the last blanket, I sewed around the outside of the fabric about 2 inches from the edge. Then I cut out the corners and fringed the edges. However, this time, the fringes on two of the sides (selvedge sides, I think) were not stable and just wanted to pull off. Obviously, that is not good for a child's blanket. So I went back and cut off the fringes on those two side, almost to the stitching line. Then I turned under the edges and zigzag stitched it down.
To my thinking, it is not nearly as cute with fringe on only two sides, but there seems to be no other choice in the situation. It would have looked neater if I had just left the selvedge edges on, because they were not white. But I didn't know it would turn out the way that it did. I still think it is plenty nice enough to donate, though. Oh well, I guess you live and learn. I guess in this case, softer isn't always better.