Wednesday, June 19, 2013
I still need to decide what I'm going to do about adding borders to it. I had bought some Scrabble fabric online a while back, but I don't think it really matches the color value of the rest of the quilt. It is bright fabric and the center is much more muted. It might work for the back of the quilt, depending on how big of a border I add to it.
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend copying this idea exactly. The Aida cloth is the problem. If you were starting from scratch on this one, I would suggest applique for the letter tiles instead. The Aida cloth is very stiff, so it is difficult to press the seams. The stiffness of the fabric also causes the seams to be thicker. I tried to use a scant 1/4 inch seam to allow for it on those patches, but the quilt is still a little drawn-in in the areas where there are a lot of Aida cloth patches. I also assume the Aida cloth will be difficult to hand quilt. I may try to straight line machine quilt it, if I can ever get a walking foot that works.