Sunday, June 30, 2024

A Jazz Quilt

 

 

My free-form scrap quilt is finished!  I continued to use scrap fabric to make the sashing pieces that join the blocks and rows together.  I used leftover pieces of binding strips to make the binding.  I did the binding completely by machine this time.  I attached the binding to the front, turned it to the back, and then stitched in the ditch from the front, to secure the binding on the back. It measures 50 inches by 62.5 inches.


 

Here is a look at the back of the quilt.  Ideally I would have spread out the darker blocks and not put same fabrics side-by-side, but this quilt wasn't about ideals.  It was, in fact, an attempt to get away from ideals, so I made no effort at all to arrange the blocks in any particular order.

It is very busy, colorful, and loud.  It is nothing like what I usually make when I am quilting, but I really enjoy it.  I like looking at the quilting that I did on it.  It was a learning experience and a liberating experience.  It's good to get away from the idea of perfection and the fear and anxiety that goes along with it.  I'll probably end up donating it somewhere, but for now I'm just enjoying that it's finished.

I guess you could say that I'm already working on another one, because I'm still sewing together scraps, but not as a full-time project. Instead of using a single piece of scrap fabric to sew over when I'm taking something off the machine, I just sew two scraps together.  I'm just putting them aside for now, but ultimately they'll probably end up in something.

No comments: